Looks like Sony is out of the gate with their new update. Thanks to our friends at PSNation, we get new details of their new firmware update, including the infamous, Playstation Plus details.
From the looks of it, it looks pretty cool. We get a new photo gallery which will be online based, like Facebook. Also we have a brand new video editor, on the conosle itself. This time, you can even upload to Youtube.
Okay, enough reading, just look at how the new update will effect us in the future. Unfortunately, there is still no word on cross-game chat. We will continue to keep you informed.
- PlayStation®Plus: A new subscription service package on PlayStation®Network, PlayStation Plus offers gamers exclusive services and content on June 29, 2010, worldwide. PlayStation Network users will be able to purchase membership* to PlayStation Plus, providing members with new options to enhance their gaming experience and enable them to gain a special set of features and content. All PlayStation Network users will continue to have free access to its unmatched and expanding suite of new and exclusive content, services and community focused tools – including online game play – while PlayStation Plus subscribers will gain access to an exclusive and expanding set of evolving features, content and functionality.
- Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows PS3 users to upload, browse and comment on photos on sites such as Facebook and Picasa Web Album. PS3 users can also opt to share their photos between their PlayStation Network friends.
- Video Editor & Uploader: Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables users to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or YouTube.*
- Five Star Rating Support: Users can rate PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.
- Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at two hours, providing users with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system.
Additional Facebook Enhancements
In addition to the latest features introduced in PS3 system software update (v3.40), a separate, new PlayStation Network application will be made available on Facebook Platform. This builds upon what was previously launched with Trophies and the ability to share purchases from the PlayStation Store. Users can further integrate their PlayStation Network and Facebook accounts with this new application. The application allows them to display their PlayStation Network profile on Facebook, find out which of their Facebook friends have a PlayStation Network account and send them a PlayStation Network friend request, view the PlayStation Network friends’ online status, and add the PlayStation Network application tab on their Facebook Profile. More information will be available at:http://apps.facebook.com/playstation/
Continued system software upgrades and the evolution of PlayStation Network ensure that the PS3 and PSP systems remain compelling offerings for years to come, with no additional investment from consumers. Further details and instructions on how to update the system software for the PS3 and PSP systems are available at http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Features/SystemUpdate and http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/psp/“