Each year the Game Critics Awards reward the best titles presented during E3. Here is the final list of winners for all categories, with The Legend of Zelda coming on top.
Some days ago the list of nominees for the Game Critics Awards for E3 2016 were released. We saw DICE’s Battlefield 1 getting the lead with a total number of five nominations, followed by Arkane’s Dishonored 2 and Guerilla’s Horizon Zero Dawn with four nominations each. However, Nintendo’s The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has been the total winner this year, winning all three of its nominations in the end.
The Game Critics Awards gets together the votes of more than 40 different media outlets. One of the conditions for videogame companies to participate in these particular awards is to have a playable demo by E3. That’s the main reason for the absence of huge titles on the list such as Mass Effect: Andromeda, Prey or Death Stranding, to name a few.
E3 2016 Game Critics Awards
- Best of Show – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo, Wii-U/NX)
- Best Original Game – Horizon Zero Dawn (Guerilla Games / Sony Interactive Entertainment, PlayStation 4)
- Best Console Game – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo, Wii-U/NX)
- Best VR Game – Batman: Arkham VR (Rocksteady / Warner Bros, PlayStation 4)
- Best PC Game – Civilization VI (Firaxis / 2K, PC)
- Best Hardware / Peripheral – PlayStation VR (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best Action Game – Battlefield 1 (DICE / EA, PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
- Best Action / Adventure Game – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo, Wii-U/NX)
- Best Role Playing Game – Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
- Best Racing Game – Forza Horizon 3 (Playground Games / Turn 10, PC, Xbox One)
- Best Fighting Game – Injustice 2 (NetherRealm / WBIE, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
- Best Sports Game – Steep (Ubisoft Annecy / Ubisoft, PC, Playstation 4, Xbox One)
- Best Family Game – Skylanders: Imaginators (Toys for Bob / Activision, PC, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox 360 and One, Wii-U)
- Best Online Multiplayer – Titanfall 2 (Respawn / EA, PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
- Best Independent Game – Inside (Playdead, PC, Xbox One)
- Special Commendation for Graphics – God of War (Sony Santa Monica / Sony Interactive Entertainment, Playstation 4)
[Source: The Game Critics Awards]