In Case You Missed It – Gaming News for the Week of February 20 – 26, 2017

So, Mass Effect: Andromeda is coming out this we–oh wait. Never mind. That’s still about a month away… But the Nintendo Switch is this week! March is going to be quite the interesting month for games, but we do need to discuss the things that happened last week, just In Case You Missed It.

In Case You Missed Last Week’s In Case You Missed It…

In case you missed In Case You Missed It from the previous week, SNES preservationist Byuu lost $10,000 worth of games in the mail and had postponed his project in order to focus on repaying the collector who sent them. This week, however, the United States Postal Service managed to do their job correctly and actually found the missing package in Atlanta, Georgia. Granted, it was supposed to be in Ohio. You can read the harrowing events on Byuu’s website.

In Case You Wanted a Good Marvel Game…

Something that has plagued Marvel’s video game outings is that they have mostly been movie tie-ins. This unfortunately led to rushed games and limited vision for those games. Last week, Marvel got the memo. As of now, Marvel Games will no longer require developers to adhere to the Marvel Cinematic Universe or other storylines. In an IGN interview, Marvel Games has stated that the new PS4 Spider-Man and Telltale’s Guardians of the Galaxy have been given their blessing to go out and explore new territory. Here’s hoping it pays off!

Just don't make another one of these...
Just don’t make another one of these…

In Case You Live in Australia…

Sorry, mate. Your Steam games are gonna get more expensive. According to Valve, the game publishing platform will be adding a 10% sales tax to all games in July. Other regions such as New Zealand will also have to pay up for their games. You can find the full list here.

In Case You Ordered a Nintendo Switch…

Time to beautify it! Kickstarter projects are already underway for small things to make the Nintendo Switch “yours.” The first one I’ve seen is this adorable little sticker you can slap onto the controller. Look at it! Look at it!

It's so cute! Look at it!
It’s so cute! Look at it!

In Case You Want to Have Your Cyberpunk Dystopia…

We’re getting a little closer to that. In a Wired article this week, Edward Castronova of Indiana University talked about how the free-to-play model may eventually lead to pro-gaming being the only blue-collar job in existence. Here’s his argument. First, mechanization is eliminating labor-intensive jobs. Second, nearly half of the profit for free-to-play games comes from 0.2% of players, and as the rich get richer, these types of games will make even more money. Third, since the other 99.8% of players contribute little other than bodies for these “whales,” free-to-play games may start using the abundance of funds from rich players to provide some sort of income for the rest of us. The end result is that companies might wind up paying people to populate their games so the rich people can have an “authentic” gaming experience. Ain’t that just delightful?


And that’s all for now! Be sure to swing by again next week for more wacky tales, In Case You Missed It!

Share this article:

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on tumblr
Tumblr
Share on email
Email
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp

Recent Posts

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Gaming News

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth and What’s Next For Xbox | Let’s Chat

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is the next big game set for release and the rumor mill has been set ablaze with talks of Xbox going multi-platform. We take a few …

Gaming News

The Pimax Crystal 8K VR Headset | CES 2024

AR and VR were some of the bigger topics during this year’s CES. Last year I was able to go hands-on with the Pimax Portal but this year it was …

CES

NVIDIA Announces 40 Series Super Cards and More at CES 2024

A year can’t go by without a huge announcement from NVIDIA. During CES 2024 in Las Vegas, NVIDIA announced an upgrade to its 40 series cards. The GeForce RTX 40 …

Game Reviews

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora Impressions

Videogames based on movies have been around as far back as the release of E.T. on the Atari back in 1982. Movie-based video games have not always been the best …

Lucid Game Thumbnail Gaming News

The First Celestoidvania – Lucid Interview

If you enjoyed Celeste and games like Metroid and Castlevania, Lucid is a game that you need to keep your eye out for. We have had the chance to check …

Fallout - Woman exiting the vault Movies & TV

Amazon’s Fallout Series Teaser Trailer

Live-action video game adaptations continue to get better and better. The Last of Us showed us what was possible when retelling the stories of a great video game on screen. …