The publisher behind War of the Roses, Paradox Interactive, has announced War of the Vikings. War of the Vikings will be a multiplayer game with a fighting style much like, War of the Roses. The title will be developed by Fatshark.
“War of the Roses was a fantastic experience for us to launch, and as it’s evolved over time, eventually growing into its current Kingmaker edition, we’ve been inspired many times over by the possibilities of the close-combat genre,” said Gordon Van Dyke, Executive Producer for the War of the Roses franchise. “It’s clear to us that there are many more experiences we can share with our players, and War of the Vikings is our next step in establishing Paradox and Fatshark as leaders in the art of online war.”
War of the Vikings will introduce the following features to players:
- Authentically inspired and intense 64 player battles
- Historically inspired content from the Viking Age, including levels and environments, weapons, helmets, shields, and heraldry
- Skill-driven close-quarter combat that will blend swinging, blocking, and dodging as well as ranged combat including arrows, spears, and throwing axes.
- Allow players to design their own Viking or Saxon warrior, choosing everything from weapons and armor to battle perks, customized taunts to unhinge your foes, and naturally, a variety of beard options.
- Epic 64-player battles and a “Pitched Arena” mode with 32-player combat and no respawns, as well as a “Training Ground” to test out new character builds.
For players interested, they can sign up for the alpha on PC.
War of the Vikings is scheduled to release the first quarter of 2014.