The sequel to the 2011 shooter Homefront returned to Gamescom 2015 with a fancy new trailer showing off a dark, but hopeful world.
Homefront: The Revolution takes place two years after the events of Homefront, and promises a change of pace when it comes to gameplay. The game offers a fairly typical ‘David and Goliath’ scenario, were you lead a resistance force against an advanced military. Deep Silver put the enemies advantage as, “…superior technology, firepower, heavy armor and air support. Players must learn the art of guerrilla warfare – ambush, sabotage, infiltration, deception.”
The features that separate Homefront: The Revolution from the herd of FPS games is its open world and faction crafting system. In today’s gaming climate, the open world is not an exciting new thing; in fact it’s fairly common. However, Homefront: The Revolution does the open world in an exciting way. The world adapts, changes, and evolves around you. Every player’s game is different and the way each world evolves can be vast.
“The Resistance Cell can inspire a rebellion on the streets and turn Occupation into Revolution, as oppressed civilians take up the fight.”
There is also an online co-op mode, in which players can team up with friends to form their own resistance cells and become “Heroes of the Revolution.” Hopefully this online element and ever-changing world can make Homefront: The Revolution more exciting than its predcessor, and Deep Silver can redeem themselves.
The full feature list is below:
• Explore a living, breathing open world – experience true open-world gameplay in a first person shooter, brought to life with astonishing CRYENGINE-powered visuals
• Wage Guerrilla Warfare – this is no linear shooter; learn the art of guerrilla warfare and use ambush, infiltration and hit and run tactics against your foe in thrilling unscripted firefights
• Build the Resistance – recruit revolutionaries to the cause, establish bases and safehouses, capture and customize a deadly arsenal, and build improvised, homebrew weapons for the perfect Guerrilla Tool Kit
• Ignite the Revolution – from oppressed citizen to revolutionary leader, an epic single-player campaign tells the story of the second American War of Independence. The dynamic, evolving world responds to the player’s actions as an oppressed nation rises up in defiance against the occupation
• Online Co-Op – take the battle online, form a Resistance Cell with your friends and earn your reputation as Heroes of the Revolution
There’s no hard release date for Homefront: The Revolution yet, but we can expect it to drop next year for sure.