City of Heroes will soon become City of Heroes Freedom and will be a free to play MMO. City of Heroes has been going strong for over seven years and they are now going the same route as Champions Online.
“All current City of Heroes subscribers will automatically be upgraded to VIP accounts when City of Heroes Freedom launches. When City of Heroes Freedom launches, you will continue to enjoy all of the subscription benefits and content you enjoy today, as well as brand-new exclusive rewards, features, and services. Additionally, beginning on July 1, 2011, you will earn 400 Paragon Points each month. When City of Heroes Freedom launches, you will become a VIP player, and you will start with a tidy sum of Paragon Points to spend in the new in-game Paragon Market.”
It is unclear if this will change how costumes will work since as of right now, players create their own look at a tailor shop or how the in-game auction house will work where Heroes sell and buy enhancements to better their hero.
Those who are regular players will have the following benefits:
1. Play as a Hero or Villain for up to Level 50.
2. Play in 45 different game zones.
3. Select from 8 character archetypes and 105 power sets.
4. Create costumes for up to 2 characters from billions of combinations.
5. Buy anything you’d like from the in-game store.
For who had an account and return, they will benefit from:
1. Get everything that Free players get.
2. Retain nearly everything you already purchased or unlocked, including Super Boosters, expansions, and directly purchased character slots.
3. Retain all the Veteran Rewards you earned.
For those who currently have a CoH account will be VIPs and will get:
1. Receive everything that free players get.
2. Get 12 per server, plus slots that were unlocked or directly purchased.
3. Receive 400 Paragon Points per month to use in the in-game store.
4. Experience VIP content (including the City of Heroes Going Rogue™ expansion content and new monthly Signature Story Arcs) for free.
5. Enjoy one free character transfer per month, priority queuing, and VIP customer support.
6. Gain access to a new VIP-only server.
Current City of Heroes subscribers start accruing their VIP bonus of 400 Paragon Points per billing cycle starting on July 1, 2011 for as long as they maintain a subscription.
Check out City of Heroes’ website for more information.