What is looking like to be the biggest blockbuster of 2012, may just be one of the biggest blockbusters of all time.
The Avengers came out on April 25th internationally with a domestic release of May 4th. In those 19 days since, The Avengers has earned an estimated $1,002.1 billion. We expected it to make a lot of money, but were these high of number anticipated by anyone? I highly doubt it. Lets take a look at all the records The Avengers has already made and broken.
- Is the fastest film to hit $200 million in three days. ($207.4 million)
- The fastest film to hit $300 million in nine days.
- Is the first film in history to earn over $1 million dollars in its second weekend.
- Has the highest Saturday total of all time. ($69.5 million)
- Has the highest Sunday total of all time. ($57 million)
- Has the second-biggest single-day gross of all time. ($80.8 million)
- In 19 days overthrew The Dark Knight‘s $1,001.9 billion and has climbed to the 11th spot on the all-time worldwide list.
- Is the first Marvel movie to reach $1 billion dollars and Disney’s fifth.
With a budget of only $220 million, The Avengers surely paid itself off. You can go watch The Avengers now in a theater near you and check out my review of it. Be sure to also check out our podcast where we discuss all things about The Avengers film.